Wild Man Creek (Virgin River, #14)

Wild Man Creek (Virgin River, #14) - Robyn Carr This was not my favorite. Maybe because I thought that the romance between the two leads (Jillian Matlock and Colin Riordan) was a foregone conclusion, so reading about how Jillian was being so strong and whatever made me roll my eyes. Or maybe I just read too many of these books back to back and it put me in a mood. Hard to know. I love romance novels. Absolutely adore them. But I think I can pinpoint that right around this book or the next I started to see a slide in the series and I was pretty disappointed with the next couple of ones and then the last book in the series.

There is honestly not much to say here except I thought the whole thing that brings Jillian to Virgin River was dancing towards absurd, and her new chosen profession (decides she will start to do an organic farm) came out of nowhere and did not fit her at all. Jillian is a Vice President for Corporate Communications for a software manufacturer and due to a workplace harassment issue, is cautioned to take some time off while her boss/mentor deals with it. Yeah. Like that would really happen. I bring up Jillian’s job though because I had a hard time reconciling what she does with her later decision to start an organic farm.

I also think that Carr honestly rushed the resolution to Jillian’s backstory and I pretty much rolled my eyes at the guy who shows up (and acts like an ass by the way) since how did he get there, why would he be stupid to do so based on everything that went before, etc. I think it was just a way to have Colin punch the guy or something. I don’t know. It just didn’t work with the story that I think Carr wanted to tell.

Also, I really have a hard time believing that in a matter of weeks that Jillian can just have an organic farm up and running. Apparently Virgin River has magic soil. And I really didn’t get why Jack Sheridan who is renting the house to Jillian is okay with her gardening as much as she is in a house she doesn’t own. Hey I have rented homes before, you can of course ask the homeowner about certain things, but I have never lived in one place that was all yes of course you can grow whatever you want and totally change the grounds.

Colin and his family drove me batty. Maybe because Luke Riordan decides he will be the twin of Jack Sheridan and stick his nose in where it’s not wanted or needed. I was also really tired of the women coming along to have sensible talks with these idiots. It gets old after a while and I know that I was 100 percent sick of it.

Unlike in previous books I don’t think that Carr had much knowledge about painting/gardening. Colin starts painting and apparently is such a great painter/photographer that he can sell his works for thousands of dollars. Jillian is somehow going to turn her farm into a million dollar enterprise though she and only one other person works the grounds? I can’t even recall how many acres Jillian has, but I maybe muttered BS a few times while reading this.

We have a reappearance of Jillian’s sister (who will be in the next book) and of course other characters we have become familiar with. I totally booed the entire story-line with Jack Sheridan and Denny Cutler. It made absolutely no sense, and then towards the end we have Denny throwing out a line about something that made me go wait a minute, what? I think it was an editing error that no one caught, but it bugged me endlessly.

The ending was too much and I really hated the whole woman who is grieving because she told her man to go off and do what he needed to be happy. I was just really over both of them. The romance was so-so and I was happy that the book finally ended.