Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1)

Princess of the Midnight Ball (Princess #1) - Jessica Day George Please note that I gave this book 4.5 stars and rounded it to 5 stars on Goodreads.

After reading Silver in the Blood I was interested in reading George's other works. I really did enjoy this one. Probably because I read the story as a kid (loved it) and loved the cartoon version of it on Grimm's fairy tales.

George does a good job of taking this fairy tale and also tying it together in the real world at certain parts as well. We follow the former soldier Galen who comes home to find his mother's family after the war. After stopping to help an old woman, he is given some wool and a cape that apparently will make him disappear. Not knowing what he would do with these items he continues onward and eventually meets his family. Coming home, Galen starts to work with his uncle in the king's garden and there meets the eldest, Rose. Through all of this the princesses are found each day with worn out shoes which is leading to questions that could prove dangerous for them and their father.

I really did like how this was done. Galen was a great hero and I liked Rose as well as the other princesses. The backstory which led to this was done very well too. I honestly wish the book had a prequel to it, because I was interested in the magicians who are mentioned in this book too.

George does such a great job with dialogue and action that I wish that Silver in the Blood had been done as well as this book.

The ending had a can you believe it ending to it which was the only reason why I gave this 4.5 stars. I honestly don't know what was going on there since everything felt tacked on. I wish that there had been more information about this character that suddenly reappeared, but no such luck.