oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Poet: A Novel
The Night Country
Melissa Albert
Lady in the Lake
Laura Lippman
Captivated (The Donovan Legacy)
Nora Roberts
The Book of Koli
M.R. Carey
Sin Eater
Megan Campisi
The Black Angel
John Connolly
Flag Counter

The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog - Jen Lancaster Jen Lancaster's newest memoir, "The Tao of Martha: My Year of LIVING; Or, Why I'm Never Getting All That Glitter Off of the Dog is laugh out loud funny and touching in parts.

Though I loved, "Bitter is the New Black", "Bright Lights" and "Such a Pretty Fat" I was less enamored with "Pretty in Plaid" and "My Fair Lazy" and felt downright hostile after reading, Lancaster's last memoir, "Jeneration X."

I felt as if the person that I loved to read about all these years was just some cool person I made up in my own head. I remember not believing that the Jen Lancaster that wrote, "Bitter is the New Black" was the same person who seemed to half-heartily write "Jeneration X."

So with some trepidation I selected this novel and I devoured this novel in hours. The Jen Lancaster that many of us have loved all of these years is definitely back.

Lancaster lets her readers know right away that she has had some set-backs in her life that had left her unhappy which I think may have colored her writing in Jeneration X. Right away she realizes that she needs to stop and re-assess what makes her happy and decides to start following Martha Stewart Living as she tries to get organized and settled into her new home. As someone who also bought a new house I have to say I felt for her on the things that she was dealing with regarding her party planning, gardening, and attempts to be organized.

I think Lancaster definitely hits on the fact that many women today do want to be like Martha Stewart in their day to day lives and would love to be able to take some twigs and turn it into a three story centerpiece. However, most of us do not have that skill, and her describing her attempts to be more like Martha often resulted in laugh out loud moments. My favorite section of this memoir was the Easter portion I actually started to cry I was laughing that hard.

I do want to know readers know that the footnotes are gone now so any Kindle people will not have to deal with the hassle of going back and forth in the book. One welcome addition is that this novel includes pictures of Jen, her husband, the dogs, and her friends in various points in the novel.

Picking up "The Tao of Martha" was like hanging with a long-time friend and catching up with each other over margaritas.

I definitely recommend to long-time fans of Jen Lancaster!

I received this novel for free via the Amazon Vine Program.