oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo
We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
Ta-Nehisi Coates
The Case for Jamie (Charlotte Holmes Novel)
Brittany Cavallaro
Trevor Noah
Colonel Roosevelt
Edmund Morris
Toil & Trouble: 16 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
Tehlor Kay Mejia, Tristina Wright, Emery Lord, Andrea Cremer, Tess Sharpe, Jessica Spotswood, Brandy Colbert, Robin Talley, Anna-Marie McLemore, Zoraida Córdova, Brenna Yovanoff, Nova Ren Suma, Shveta Thakrar, Kate Hart, Lindsay Smith

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) - Mindy Kaling So I actually read this memoir by Mindy Kaling a few years back. I decided to re-read it again this weekend since I absolutely adored Why Not Me? I noticed that unlike with previous years I have been pretty far behind my memoir reads and hope to change that up a bit in 2016.

I would say that all together this was a pretty fast read (it is only 222 pages) so I was able to get through this in under three hours. I had so many other events going on this weekend that I wasn't able to just read it straight through like I wanted to though.

Kaling starts off her memoir from her childhood to college when she and her best friend Brenda put on a play called Matt & Ben (a fictionalized play about actors Matt Damon and Ben Affleck before they became famous) and how eventually that led to her getting interviewed by Greg Daniels for NBC's The Office.

So I know that many people probably recognize Mindy Kaling from The Office as Kelly.

I was embarrassed to admit that I really didn't know much about Kaling until she wrote and starred in her own Fox (now Hulu) show, The Mindy Project.

So reading Kaling's first memoir and finding out how she loved comedy, wrote her own play that ended up being an off Broadway success that led her to The Office where she was a writer and also director for a few of the shows was fascinating.

I am not going to lie, up until then I kind of associated Kaling with the part she played on The Office, i.e. shallow and totally obsessed with Ryan. Reading about how hard she works/ed to get to where she is, and how crazy it was for her to go into a totally different profession than her parents was great.

We do have a couple of funny asides written about just random things that Kaling has thought about. And I thought the section about how she is treated in Hollywood because she is not a size zero is extremely astute. Most of the articles I read about Kaling these days seem either critical (she's not about diversity) or fawning while praising her for not being ashamed of having a womanly body.