oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
The Round House
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Why Not Me?

Why Not Me? - Mindy Kaling So I hands down loved this memoir. Right now this and Yes Please by Amy Poehler are my two favorite memoirs that I read in 2015. The reason for this one I think is because Kaling suffered the loss of her mother a few months after Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? And Other Concerns came out. In this book you can feel her loss of her mother and how much she loved and admired her. I think all of that made this book feel far more intimate than a lot of other memoirs by celebrities that I have read in the past.

You get Kaling's no holds barred thoughts about friendship with other women, being invited to weddings, love, dating, and also how exhausting it is to just do what she does day in and day out.

I also thought this one was slightly more interactive just like Amy Poehler's Yes Please, with the funny cartoon designs, and some pictures of her showing what a day in the life looks like for her, I felt like I was hanging out with a friend and listening to them tell me everything that has been going on with them since the last time we spoke.

I like to say that Kaling really did hit some home truths for me while reading this. I too miss some of my friends because even though you realize that everyone has to grow up and apart, it still sucks. Badly. I go through this at least every few months where I just call and or email them just to do check-ins. Most of my friends are married with kids so I get how busy they are, you just miss when you could sit up all night drinking wine and discussing why in the hell Carrie keeps letting Big treat her like dirt (bonus points if you get what I am talking about here).

And yes everything she writes about weddings are true. It is freaking exhausting being asked to be in a woman if you are a bridesmaid. Groomsmen do no dang work besides having sneaky little drinks out of hidden flasks all dang day while you get yelled at for not being in the lobby at 1:10 p.m. for relaxing just hanging out shots with the bride to be. And I cracked up about her refusing to give money to people's honeymoons. Frankly I agree with that one as well. I think it's tacky. I already spent a ton of money to be in your wedding and now you want me to give you money to have a sex vacation?

I also loved Kaling's insight into dating and dealing with in one of my friends words a mind eraser of a dude. I loved her commentary about having an adult crush and realizing that the guy was never going to be what she needed and how she cut him loose.

Woven into this we also get an alternate Mindy Kaling who went off to teach Latin in a New York City private school. I loved that entire chapter and hope that Kaling decides one day to write a romance novel. I laughed and smiled through that whole thing.

And more telling, I love that Kaling calls out the misogynistic bullshit that goes on with her being larger than most women on t.v. and how even she realizes that she feeds into it with her caring about being compared to other women that she would consider larger and not curvy like her.

In my eyes, Kaling is a very talented writer and actor. I love her show The Mindy Project and finally sucked it up and got a Hulu subscription because I missed the show so much. I love that she and her mother both adored romantic comedies (so did my mom) and that she doesn't see what the problem is with wanting to watch something with what you know will be a happily ever after.

Heck that is why most women and men read romance novels. Of course we also like to read about werewolves, vampires, and fae in these novels as well, but that's a whole other story.

I highly recommend this.