Sunrise Point

Sunrise Point - Robyn Carr Please note that I gave this book 2.5 stars and rounded it up to 3 stars on Goodreads.

You can’t see my face, but my face is just still right now. This was the next to the last book in the Virgin River series and it was such a letdown. I think that having it be about a character we heard about here and there from the previous books was the main issue. I had no interest in Nora from the previous books and I was wondering why she kept popping up. Also Nora being 23 and like I think 5 feet with two kids and her being attracted to Tom didn’t work. Probably because based on what I read, Tom had to be at least in his late 30s or early 40s. There is no real tension in this book either, it’s just reading about two people kind of doing their own thing but slowly becoming attracted to each other. When we do get a love scene I maybe sort of yawned my way through it. We once again get an epilogue in this book that I was surprised to see. It didn’t really work for me, but oh well.

Nora is a single mother with two little kids doing her best to keep her head afloat. She goes looking for work at Tom’s family’s apple orchard. He initially turns her away thinking she is too young and small to be able to do much good, but his grandmother makes him hire her. Nora starts to think of Tom romantically, but tries not to when he starts dating another woman.

Tom. Eh. He is a former Marine (mostly all of the men in Virgin River are former Marines. Thinks about it, yes I think they are) who is determined to meet and marry a “classy woman”. He decides that type of woman he is looking for is a widow of a friend of his that died in Afghanistan. At least Tom realizes this woman is completely selfish and she and he would not make a good match, but I did get a kick out of his grandmother ready and waiting to throw this woman out of their shared home.

We have references to previous characters per usual. But there is not really a B plot in this book at all. The majority of the book is dealing with Nora and Tom and Nora has a whole host of things going on.

I think the romance was lacking as I already said because I didn’t really get a sense while reading that these two were hot and bothered for each other. Nora was mostly like a little sister to Tom through the whole book so maybe that is why I found it jarring.