oblue

Abandoned by Booklikes

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

This Time Next Year
Victor LaValle
Progress: 100 %
Flag Counter

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain, Guy Cardwell, John Seelye Part of me wonders if you get your book lover card taken away from you if you end up disliking a literary classic? I really loathed this book from beginning to end.

Truth be told, I am not really a Mark Twain fan at all. Every time we had a choice between reading one of his stories in English class I always chose any other author I could if the teacher gave us options.

The only story of his that I did love from beginning to end was The Diary of Adam and Eve.

I will say that it's a little odd that Amazon has this story ahead of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer since it would make sense to read that book before this one. I of course knew the gist of both stories (I mean I may avoid Twain, but I at least know what the subject matter is about) so I can't say I went in unaware of how the language was going to be.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is told in the first person by Huckleberry Finn. We find out that after he and Tom Sawyer's escapades in the first book (which again I am going to say is weird that this book is ahead of that one in the list) that Huckleberry is living with the Widow Douglas who is doing her best to make him into a little gentleman (or in Huck's words, civilize him).

This entire book just continues on in fits and starts. Initially, we get to read about Huck's sadness to be locked indoors all of the time, and his sneaking away with Tom Sawyer when he can. Then we move onto Huck's father returning who locks him up in order to get his hands on Huck's money. Then we have Huck escaping his father and runs into a runaway slave named Jim. Eventually Huck and Jim have further adventures sailing on their raft and we get introduced to even more characters.

I am guessing that Huck is a pre-teen or almost a teenager in this book based on his description and how he acts. So there are some things that I think as a reader you can make allowances for. For example, you can understand at Huck's age why he was so reluctant to be abetting Jim in his goal to escape being sold by his owner. Eventually though, Huck starts to consider Jim his friend and feels responsible for keeping him safe from harm. But honestly after a while I was just kind of done with Huck and Jim.

The plot moves so slowly. Seriously, this story feels like it was a million years old since I felt like for every page I finished, three more were born. The story goes on and on (past the point of mine even caring) until we get to an ending that just made me roll my eyes. For all the mess that Mark Twain talked about Jane Austen, I would say that he should have definitely not have been throwing stones at anyone.

I know during school our teacher went on and on about the brilliance of this book since Mark Twain wrote it in vernacular English (i.e. he wrote it how people spoke by then) which just was not done that time in the U.S.

I am realizing that it may make it a more interesting book for some, I completely hate it when a book is written that way, see my Gone With the Wind updates and reviews if you want to know why. Reading how people speak is painful. I stayed up all night just because I wanted to finally be done with this book today. I was tired of trying to decipher everything that someone said. At least when Huck "spoke" I could understand it easier than when "N" Jim "spoke". After a while I started to just skim what he said because I could barely make out what was being said.

Combining the vernacular English with the "N" word thrown out constantly I was pretty done with this book at the 50 percent point.

The setting of the Missouri did feel real. You can tell that Mark Twain had experience with that part of the U.S. and the rivers and embankments running along it. But that alone was not enough to save this book for me at all.

The ending when it comes I found to be simply ridiculous. I won't get into it here for the overall review, but I can say if I was Huck Finn I would have smacked Tom Sawyer a good one. At this point I am not looking forward to reading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.