What We Find

What We Find - Robyn Carr There was no real angst or anything else really moving this story. It's about two pretty bland people finding each other, enjoying having sex with each other, and getting married. The end. Seriously.

I loved Carr's Virgin River series, so I tend to pop up and read her standalones now and again hoping that I can capture some of the magic from that series in her other works. But this book was not that interesting.

Maggie Sullivan is a neurosurgeon who suffers a breakdown after being dumped by her long term self involved boyfriend as well as dealing with the aftermath of a miscarriage. To top all of that all off, she's also being sued by the parents of a teenage boy she could not save. She decides to retreat to her father's store/camp grounds in Colorado (Sullivan's Crossing). Maggie gets there and ends up pretty much hiding from friends/family and herself while staying in Sullivan's Crossing.

The book jumps back and forth between Maggie and her love interest named Cal Jones. A running (not funny theme) is Maggie trying to figure out what Cal stands for in the book, I have to say the reveal of his full name made me cringe in sympathy.

We find out that Cal is also running from some things, but Carr tries to build it up into something big that may separate the two lovers from each other, but that does not happen.

There are other characters in this book, but honestly I was more interested in Maggie's stepfather Walter. Maggie who is 37 by the way, pretty much rails at her father, mother, and anyone dumb enough to listen to her about how hard her life was and how angry she was that her mother divorced her father and rarely let her see him. But then you read she did get to see her dad for months at a time and honestly I started running out of sympathy for Maggie. Poor you, you had a well to do stepfather who honestly loved you and your mother and your mother wanted something more than just running a general store with her husband in the woods. At least Maggie's father finally had enough and told her about herself (the only part of the book I liked).

There's also a random kidnapping plot point in this thing, as well as a woman who is being charged as an escort that totally made me wonder why in the world Carr included that in this book. Maybe even she realized that the two leads were boring.

The writing and flow kind of chug along. I really wish I could say more than just I was bored. But honestly, I was just bored. The end eventually comes and I was relieved. I definitely will not be reading any more books in this series.