Give this Collection, 4 Stars

Difficult Women - Roxane Gay

I honestly didn't like some of the stories which is why I ended up giving this collection as a whole 4 stars. Gay writes extremely well though. I can honestly say that I could picture everything that she was describing in her stories. To the point a few times I had to hug myself at the end of a story. I am happy that I bought this though since I can see myself in the future re-reading some of my favorite stories, and that's how you know you have a home-run with me that even without it being a 5 star rated book by me, I have every intention of coming back and thinking about what was written. I honestly wish that Gay would come back and revisit some of these characters in future works.

"I Will Follow You" (5 stars)-The love that a pair of sisters have for one another. This story sets the stage for the rest of the collection. I actually re-read this one twice just because I wanted to let the story live longer with me. Heartbreaking and full of hope at the same time.

"Water, All Its Weight" (3 stars)-I honestly was confused with this one. It definitely had a fairytale aspect to it. But after reading the previous story, I guess I wasn't in the headspace for something I found to just be quirky.

"The Mark of Cain" (3 stars)-This one was weird. A woman pulled between two brothers. I honestly didn't get why she made the choices she did. I think throughout the whole story I was just confused. I don't know why anyone would say to themselves this is a good life. But maybe that was the lesson that Gay was trying to get across.

"Difficult Women" (5 stars)-I loved how Gay breaks down all of the cliches we have all heard before about women. Breaking things down so that you can see the woman behind the loose, frigid, and crazy. About seeing what mothers and even dead girls think about. Wonderful from beginning to end.

When a Crazy Woman is Misunderstood

It started with a phone call after a third date where she followed him home and they had sex, nothing memorable, but overall, adequate.

They had breakfast at the diner next door.

He ate eggs, scrambled soft.

She had pancakes, doused in syrup and butter.

"I can't believe you're a woman who eats," he said.

"You're a goddamned dream.

FLORDIA (5 stars)-Once again Gay breaks down a community of women that live in a gated community in Florida.

La Negra Blanca (4 stars)-A look at a woman who is passing as white who uses what she has body wise to pay for school. I like the story, but think adding in the customer to it made it a little too Hollywood movie for me. He was also a gross figure and the whole ending left me with chills. I maybe made sure my door was locked at the end of this story.

"Baby Arm" (2 stars)-My least favorite of all of the stories. I don't know, I feel like this is something that I maybe once upon watched on Adult Swim at night one time. Only in anime form or something. I also started giggling remembering 30 Rock with Liz Lemon.

"North Country" (5 stars)-I loved this story from beginning to end. Reading about a woman learning to love again and a man who works his way into her heart was great. I would love to see this brought to film one day. The narrator's story of how she ended up where she was to meet Magnus was great.

"How" (3 stars)-Eh. I think that it was just okay. I didn't have any big takeaways from it. And I hate how the character of Hanna never did reveal what her mother had to say.

"Requiem for a Glass Heart" (2 stars)-I didn't really care for this story much. Once again based on what went before, it was just okay.

"In the Event of My Father's Death" (3 stars)-I hated the ending.

"Break All the Way Down" (5 stars)-Once again this story brought to film would be wonderful. I loved it. I also got why the main character was punishing herself. When the reveal comes out you will get it too.

"Bad Priest" (3 stars)-Just made me think about the Thorn Birds. Nothing Earth shattering here.

"Open Marriage" (4 stars)-The shortest of the short stories and the one that did crack me up.

"Best Features" (5 stars)-I loved Milly and sat and thought to myself how many of my friends and even me have had that thing drilled into our heads due to what is considered undesirable. I was made fun of for being light skinned and would often sit outside to make myself darker. For some African American men I am too dark, for others, not light enough, for some white men definitely too dark and for some of them they want someone dark skinned to make things more "exotic." With Milly being heavy weight she always feels as if she has to give in anytime a man shows her interest since she knows that she is not seen as desirable like thin women are. Just loved the whole story. It really made me think.

"Bone Density" (5 stars)-The ins and outs of marriage. I am pretty happy that I am single after reading this story.

"I Am a Knife" (3 stars)-Once again I didn't get this until almost the end. But I have to say that I got bored with reading the word knife over and over again.

"The Sacrifice of Darkness" (4.5 stars)-I liked this one though I found most of it to be odd. If you can get your head past the central premise of the story you may like it too.

"Noble Things" (4 stars)-Way too soon after the US election and Gay imagines a world in which we have another Civil War. I liked this story, but thought the ending didn't quite get there.

"Strange Gods" (5 stars)-A powerful ending to this collection. Until you get to the reveal you don't get what is happening with our narrator. You just know that she loves the man she's with and is in a stream of consciousness writing tell him her beginning that he is unaware of right now.

I liked for the most part that in every story that the women/girls within it were not just white and that so many issues were brought up in this collection: rape, spousal abuse, lying, sexual needs, faith, sin, hope, I can go on. Definitely worth a read!