Disappointing Follow Up to Conversations With a Fat Girl

The F Word - Liza Palmer

Please note that I received this book via Goodreads Giveaway. Also note that this will have spoilers from Conversations With The Fat Girl.

Well. That happened. I have been so excited about the follow up to "Conversations With The Fat Girl" that I kept checking my mail everyday. I finished this yesterday and needed some time to put my thoughts together. "The F Word" focuses on Olivia Marten that readers were introduced to in the prior book. It's been ten years since Olivia's wedding and she's content with her marriage to her husband Adam. When she runs into a high school crush (Ben Dunne) Olivia is thrown since the old her she kept hidden is starting to bubble up again. Throw in some PR crisis with a A list actress Olivia feels everything‚Äč she has ever wanted is slipping away.

Honestly this book just fell down with regards to Olivia. We got to see how she acted with Maggie in the prior book and she was nasty and a liar. When Maggie at the reception the day before the wedding blew up Olivia's world you would think there would be repercussions for that. Instead nothing besides her wedding was great is mentioned. There's no mention of Olivia's friends from her time in DC. And there's a throwaway line about a former best friend she used to know. If the book had ended with some acknowledgement of how Olivia hid her life from her husband and herself I would have given it five stars. Instead, Palmer turns this book into everything is Adam's fault with no introspection about how Olivia refused to allow the real her out as an issue and a ridiculous shallow love interest. And the book seems to slam everyone on how they view women (smart, gorgeous, think, fat, etc) which to me isn't a get out of jail free card for your actions.

I think I laughed one time while reading when Olivia realizes that she and Adam are terrible people. Yeah. You both are.

Other characters are not developed very well.

Palmer rewrites how Olivia and Adam met. And in the ten years since their wedding he turned from a robot who wouldn't even share the same bed with her to a man that is affectionately dismissive and who due to Olivia's hangups about her body is having affairs. I really wish Palmer had them have an honest conversation. Go to couple's therapy. Something. Shoot have her get in touch with Maggie.

The writing was okay. I didn't get blown away by anything. The book started to feel like a chore after reading for a while. I was just not engaged at all.

The book ending was not realistic to me especially since it reads as if Olivia is just trading one man in for another.