Bad (Not Michael Jackson Bad)

The New Girl  - R.L. Stine

I at one point owned about every Fear Street book by R.L. Stine when I was a teen. I even had those special edition ones too. I don't even remember this first book and the title kept throwing me off (it's bad, no?) and at least this was short though (180 pages) so there's a reason the plot and character development was so bad.

Everyone in the town of Shadyside knows about Fear Street. A mad millionaire named Simon Fear once lived there and his burned out mansion is all that is left of him and his legacy (or is it???) there are always strange happenings on Fear Street which you would think have people avoiding it more.

"The New Girl" follows Cory Brooks. He's a high school gymnast who falls in love at first sight when he sees a new girl at his school named Anna Corwin. Cory tries to find out all he can about Anna, but when he finally gets her number and calls her home, someone tells him that Anna is dead. But if Anna is dead, who is the girl at the school who Cory finds himself thinking about all the time.

Well this book is honestly a mess. Cory is oblivious to everything around him. At least though when he starts to realize that things with Anna look hinky he tries to get the heck out of there as quickly as he can. I also applaud Stine for having more than three people in his books too. Cory has other friends he talks to as well as his friends and a mysterious stranger he keeps meeting on Fear Street.

My big issue though is 180 pages is way too short to develop a really good story. The whole book makes no sense when you get to the ending. And heck with the prologue, Stine already clues you into the so-called big reveal so I was not surprised when we get to it.

Stine does a good job though with description of people and places. He made Fear Street delightfully creepy.