Woosa

Maybe Someday - Colleen Hoover

I had to take several deep breaths while reading this book. I was irate. I spared everyone from status updates because it looks like a lot of readers felt the way I did.

"Maybe Someday" is dealing with two people who randomly come together after starting to text each other. Sydney is living with her friend and roommate (Tori) and often goes on her balcony to listen to a boy she doesn't know play his guitar (Ridge). Soon we find out that Ridge is stuck with writer's block and can't come up with lyrics for the songs he is playing. So he starts holding up signs to Sydney since he notices her always singing along to his music. Yes, Sydney is such a musical genius she can listen to musical notes and come up with pitch perfect lyrics. So the two start a weird friendship.

Sydney though is happy with her long time boyfriend (Hunter) but still has doubts. All doubts are erased though when she finds out he's been cheating. And due to the most ridiculous thing ever, she ends up moving in with Ridge and his other two roommates. I still want to know where these people live that they have a four bedroom apartment. Scratch that, I don't care.

Anyway, Sydney has no money and no place to live (I can't recall why) and agrees to live with Ridge and not pay rent as long as she's helping him write lyrics.

And of course love. But hold up, Ridge has the most awesome girlfriend ever (Maggie) and now Ridge is torn between Maggie and Sydney.

Hoover chooses to tell this in alternating POV's which of course showcase Ridge and Sydney.

First things first, the two leads suck. I hated Ridge and Sydney. They are terrible as hell and self absorbed. I had moments when I wanted to smack the crap out of both of them since they fought so hard to not be attracted to each other. Yeah, not really. They both act childish if the other one pays attention to anyone else of the opposite sex.

I disliked Ridge because he lies about even having a girlfriend until Sydney finds out about it and he acts totally surprised about why is she mad. Frankly, I wish that Hoover had explored that more.  Why is Sydney mad? Men and women can shocker, be friends and if one or both are in relationships then you can't be mad that a guy you are thinking about is dating someone else. Can I also say that Sydney has been broken up with her boyfriend for like 3 days at this point so I rolled my eyes at how hearbroken she supposedly was.

There is of course an incident. And frankly once again I think Hoover tried to soft pedal it so that you would root for Frick and Frack to get together. I kept hoping they both die in a weird accident with an epilogue from Maggie's POV. Too bad.

Back to Ridge and Sydney, they are both overwrought as hell talking about how their hearts are being ripped out and their souls are being torn in half. I am not kidding people. That is a good majority of the book.

The thing that gets me is that Sydney acts like an even bigger ass when the truth comes out and people notice what is going on with her and Ridge showing everyone their "feelings."

I liked Maggie, Warren, and Bridgette (sadly) and that was it. Maggie deserved better and honestly I hated how Hoover ended this with pretty much Maggie being more of a grown up and honest person then these two yahoos. I hated that Hoover tried to show some parallels between how Maggie and Ridge got together and nope, didn't buy it at all. Warren was the only grown-up considering how Hoover portrayed him.

The writing was not my favorite. The flow was all messed up too. I think it was because of the fact that Hoover kept including song lyrics throughout this book. I didn't care for any of them. And didn't get musical genius for the words that the character of Sydney was writing. Probably because I could not hear the music. And as I said above. Once Sydney and Ridge acknowledge their feelings for each other each of their POVs become more and more over the top about their feelings I think that even Romeo and Juliet would tell them to take it down a notch.

The setting of the book was pretty much their apartment.

The ending was a joke.

Ridge "chooses" Sydney. But that's after Maggie dumps him. I did laugh. I wish that Maggie had sent Sydney an email saying yeah I gave him to you. Enjoy until another girl comes along.

(show spoiler)