Great Collection of Short Stories

Whitethorn Woods - Maeve Binchy

I have read this collection before and I still enjoy it. I think that the best thing about it is that all of the stories are connected around the town of Rossmore and a well that a lot of people go and pray to (St. Ann's).

The central figure in this collection is Father Brian Flynn who appears in other Binchy stories. In the end, the resolution regarding the well I thought was a smart idea.

Honestly my favorite stories are:

"The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer"-telling the story of a good man named Ned who even though he is not the smartest man, is definitely better than his good for nothing brother. He appears in some of the other stories and I recall I think that he popped up in "Heart and Soul."

"Gold Star Claire"-reading about a woman who is connected to the character of Ned. I was honestly shocked at this story. A woman who is quite frank about rape and molestation that is going on in her family and someone else that was brought up in "The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer". I loved Claire, but did think that part of the story did get into some absurd things when we find out about what job Claire takes up in order to go to school and take care of her sister.

"Your Eleven O'Clock Lady" was hilarious. It was a case of mistaken identity and people doing pretty much a whose on first thing.

"The Intelligence Test" was also very good. It was definitely a feel good story.

I did like the other stories, but these are the ones that I liked the most.

Kindle edition pages: 354 pages. 201 to 400 pages: $3.00

April 15: $20
April 17: $23. I read The Wangs Vs the World (do not read this book) pages 368.
April 24: $28. I read "Dream Wedding, pages 512.
April 25: $28. Landed on BL and had to post a vacation photo or tell a story about a vacation.

April 29: $31.