Best Bosch Ever

The Wrong Side of Goodbye (A Harry Bosch Novel) - Michael Connelly

Wow. I thought this one was really good. Everything clicked. Since I was meh to oh heck no on the last couple of books, it was nice to finally read a really great Bosch book.

In "The Wrong Side of Goodbye" we have Bosch now working as a volunteer for the San Fernando Police Department. Bosch threw a lawsuit at the LAPD when the forcibly retired him and prevented him from getting his full benefits when he came back under DROP (Deferred Retirement Option Plan). Due to the lawsuit (and the subsequent win) Bosch more than ever is not seen as a favorable person by his former LAPD colleagues. However, he is content more than he has been in years (or like all the books I have read to date) since he is focusing on cold cases, rapes, and murders.  When Bosch is approached by a former member of the LAPD to meet with a dying billionaire (yeah that's a thing now), Bosch is intrigued enough to go due to the $10,000 he is paid just for going to say hello.

The book focuses on Bosch juggling a serial rapist case for Sen Fernando and then working out if the dying billionaire has left a heir behind. Thankfully Connelly does not tie to the two cases together. That would have been a bridge too far for me. Instead, we get to see Bosch's leg work (and old fashioned at that) and why it still works. He has a new sort of partner that he likes though once again, Bosch doesn't have a clue about her personal life until almost the very end of the book. I was more intrigued with the serial rapist case than the missing heir case since we find out pretty soon the results of the heir case. It turns into something else that really had me thinking though which is why I enjoyed both cases.

We have Bosch being Bosch. He still tries to buck authority. But thank goodness for once we didn't have Bosch trying to square off against a supervisor. I hate it when Connelly tries to justify Bosch's attitude. He was being a petty ass toward someone in this book and it was great that for once that Connelly showed Bosch being in the wrong, and yeah no consequences though Bosch deserved them.

We get appearances by Bosch's half-brother, Mickey Haller. It always cracks me up that he seems way more sleazy in the books than he did in the movie (The Lincoln Lawyer). But in this appearance, he is not wandering around half drunk. He is sharp, on point, and really really savvy. I loved seeing him and Bosch team up again.

We also have Bosch's college age daughter in this one. Still annoying in places, but not out and out aggravating.

I also laughed a bit because Bosch's current age is kind of a joke at this point. He remarks at one point he is the same age of a woman in her 60s he is meeting and I had to wonder what age we had for him in the last book and then just gave up trying to figure it out.

No love interest at all for Bosch in this one and now that I think on it, I don't think he has had a serious one in the last few books.

We just have Bosch, his house in the hills, and his love for his daughter and for the job.

The writing was much crisper in this one too. There is a bit of then Bosch read this and thought that and read this again, but Connelly cut on that way back. I remember the one book where we are reading about how Bosch reads murder books and what certain words mean to him as he reads it. I still want to go and bang my head about that.

There are a few comments here and there that makes me think that Connelly had a crystal ball into the current state of our political affairs and has Bosch make a comment about how terrible it is that this serial rapist seems to be targeting Hispanic women, since many of them are scared to go to the police to report their rapes since they are scared of being deported. Yeah. I maybe took a deep breath and pinched my nose at that point. There is another comment about people building walls that are not going to do a blessed thing too.

The flow was really good and the pressure doesn't let up until the end when you get a resolution about both cases that Bosch is working.