oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Where the Past Begins: A Writer's Memoir
Ann Leckie
Progress: 50 %

Just Okay

Hercule Poirot's Christmas (Hercule Poirot Mysteries) - Agatha Christie

Honestly, I didn't hate this one or really like it. It was a bit too farfetched for me when we get to the ending/solution.

We have a terrible man, Simeon Lee, who demands his family come home for the holidays. He seems to be playing a game of cat and mouse with them and using his money as an incentive to put up with his despicable self. When he is found murdered, all clues point to someone in the family who has done it. Poirot who happens to be staying with a friend, comes along and then is asked by the family to figure out who killed Lee.

The potential culprits are Lee's granddaughter who has just arrived in England, his sons Alfred, George, David, and Harry, and his daughter-in laws, Lydia, Magdalene, and Hilda. There are also servants and one of Simeon's partner's son about the estate too.

I think maybe because I had watched the BBC television episode of this one it just colored things for me. I just found the book boring and most of the characters pretty thinly written. I think that David was beyond annoying and that Alfred was delusional. The only time it got a bit interesting was when the family finds out the contents of Simeon's will and you get to see some of the members of the family clearly for the first time. I really did like the character of Lydia (Alfred's wife) but other than that bah.

There were a lot of red herrings about in the book, and I have to say that the resolution was a bit much for me (how Poirot realized who was the killer).