Really Good Medieval Romance

Desire - Amanda Quick

This was a really good medieval romance. I wonder why there are not that many of these out there anymore? When I was growing up I always saw a romance cover with a heroine (bosoms heaving) being clutched by a man with a sword with a castle in the background.

Ah well.

"Desire" has Lady Clare of the Isle of Desire being forced to wed after her father's death. Her guardian suggest that she marry Sir Gareth of Wyckmere or her closet neighbor, Sir Nicholas of Seaborn. Due to Lady Clare being abducted by Sir Nicholas a few months back and not caring for him, she feels like she's trapped between no good choices. But without realizing it, Lady Clare starts to develop feelings for Gareth and his knights that chose to ride alongside him.

I have to say that I was more in love with the hero in this one. Gareth has an interesting backstory (no spoilers) but we know that he is a bastard that was raised in his father's household. All he wants is a place to call his own and a wife and he starts to see Clare and the rest of the people there as his to protect.

Clare is kind of stupid. Yeah I said it. She has a hair trigger temper at times and sometimes does really dumb stuff that if this was a different kind of book would probably have caused Gareth to beat and or rape her (thank God that didn't happen).

The two of them make a lot of sense and I can see why they were so strong together. The love scenes were pretty hot too though.

With all of this going on we have a murder mystery to solve that could lead to Clare and Gareth's death as well.

The writing is clever and I have to say that I laughed at the horrible songs that Clare's minstrel was playing. The rhyming was just bad.

I thought the ending was abrupt though. We just go to Clare throwing down another gauntlet that Gareth doesn't call her out on (and honestly I would have) and then the book ends. Still give it five stars though.