The Hunger Inside All of Us

Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body - Roxane Gay

Trigger warning: rape

I really don't have much to say besides go and grab this book to read. This is a painfully honest memoir by Gay. At times I felt like she had mailed me a copy of her diary and said enjoy the read. I wanted to look away at times because it was too much. She tap into the voice that lives in all women to a certain extent telling us we are not good enough time and time again.

If you have read Gay's other works, you may know she was a victim of group rape when she was 12. She goes into this incident and how it caused her to eat and eat in order to protect herself from the world. If she was larger, that would put boys/men off cause they don't find themselves attracted to heavier women. The pain that comes through at times may get to you. It did to me. What I liked most is that Gay offers up her life to us as readers and doesn't hold back. She's brutally honest about how her own actions have led her to where she is today. She's still trying and that's all any of us can do.

Gay goes into her family dynamics, her early schooling, and what drew her to writing. Some parts of this memoir I saw she recreated for some of her short stories I recently finished. This book gave me a richer understanding of those stories now, and I wish I had read this first.

Unlike with most memoirs this doesn't have the author doing some rah rah things are great in my life wrap up. Gay just feels more at peace it seems by the end of this book. She has let us in to see the real her and I for one enjoyed it.