oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Fat Girl on a Plane
Kelly deVos
Progress: 28 %
Furyborn
Claire Legrand
Toil & Trouble: 16 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
Tehlor Kay Mejia, Tristina Wright, Emery Lord, Andrea Cremer, Tess Sharpe, Jessica Spotswood, Brandy Colbert, Robin Talley, Anna-Marie McLemore, Zoraida Córdova, Brenna Yovanoff, Nova Ren Suma, Shveta Thakrar, Kate Hart, Lindsay Smith
The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope #1)
Ann Cleeves
Coming Home
Rosamunde Pilcher

Read When You Have Time to Enjoy

Astrophysics for People in a Hurry - Neil deGrasse Tyson

I did enjoy this but don't know what else to say about it. My background is not science, but I definitely enjoyed reading the author's comments about astrophysics. And I did get sad a fee times he brings up people arguing against science and instead only wanting to believe everything in the Bible.

Mr. deGrasse Tyson takes us point by point through astrophysics. You get to read about Einstein's theory of relatively, gravity, discussions of dark matter, the periodic table of elements, etc.

There were definitely some comments here and there that I loved.

"We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us."

"When I track the orbits of asteroids, comets, and planets, each one a pirouetting dancer in a cosmic ballet, choreographed by the forces of gravity, sometimes I forget that too many people act in wanton disregard for the delicate interplay of Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and land, with consequences that our children and our children’s children will witness and pay for with their health and well-being. And sometimes I forget that powerful people rarely do all they can to help those who cannot help themselves."

At some key points deGrasse Tyson's humor shines through and I wish he had let more of it come through this book.

There is a helpful index at the end if the book you can use to look up things you may be curious about. Something tells me he did t expect people to read it in one sitting.

I think that if the book included pictures that would have helped break things up. I can't complain too much though since it was such a short read. I wish I had just borrowed this from the library since I completed it at around 78 percent though.

208 electronic pages; $6.00