An Intimate Look at a Man Obsessed

And Never Let Her Go: Thomas Capano: The Deadly Seducer - Ann Rule

I have to say that this ended up being my favorite true crime book by Ann Rule. I think the main reason is that this one stayed really focused on not only the the accused, but also the victim and other women in this man's orbit. Usually Rule's books start to read as formulaic with her going into the background of every cop, prosecutor, and judge and you start go get bored. Or at least I do. But I think that Rule stayed very focused on the victim Anne Marie Fahey.

"And Never Let Her Go" goes into the background on the murder of 30 year old Anne Marie Fahey. In 1996, she disappeared after having dinner with Thomas Capano. Her relatives had no idea she had been secretly having an affair with Capano for more than two years. After Fahey's family starts to look for her, more secrets about her personal life start to emerge. When the police find out about Capano's obsession with Anne Marie and how he reacted when any woman that he dated tried to leave him, many people started pointing his way.

I ended up feeling a lot of pity for Anne Marie. Rule is able to give us enough background on her based on her notes from her diaries, comments made by family and friends to show that she was an insecure woman who was prime pickings from a man like Capano. When she finally starts to see Capano for who he is, and moves on from him to a more stable relationship, you know based on what Rule shows us that Capano is not going to stand for it.

Capano's background at first shows a man who is a loving family man and friend. But when you start to read about how Capano started to control every woman and even some of the men in his orbit, you realize that he is not going to go off into the night when Anne Marie tries to end things with him.

I honestly thought the writing was much tighter in this one. I also think the flow was vastly improved over some of the other books of Rule's I have read.

I really did enjoy the court room scenes in this one because Capano was so foul that I don't know how the prosecutor didn't end up calling the man out of his name.

I was also surprised by the jury verdict when it came to the penalty stage.

Highly recommend for true crime lovers.