Tedious

Lying in Wait: Ann Rule's Crime Files: Vol.17 - Ann Rule

I feel bad for saying this, but I found most of the stories in this volume to be tedious and boring. Heck, I ended up just skimming the last two stories.

The Baby Seller-The first one about a baby seller should have been interesting. But I think due to all of the criminal activities the woman was involved in, the whole story read as muddled. I am still confused about who did what to who as well. Things were very confusing to me as a reader. It still reads to me that perhaps the accused wasn't charged with the other victim who was included in this story. Or maybe I just read it incorrectly. Rule also weirdly includes a story about a woman whose baby was kidnapped and returned and had nothing to do with the main story at all.

Secrets of the Amorous Pizza Man-I felt irritated through this whole story. Maybe because we got bare bones about the victim and the accused in this one. Rule spends more time describing how Poleys (people who have gone to live in the North Pole) interact and details about them. I needed more information in this one.

A Road Trip to Murder-This one was appalling. A white supremacist and his girlfriend go on a killing spree. This one was really rushed I thought and I am still unclear on several things that are portrayed in this one. And weirdly at times Rule seems to show admiration for the accused because he was a stand up guy who didn't want to get his friends in trouble and was intelligent.

Murderous Epitaph for the Beautiful Runaway-There seemed to be a good deal of well what did she expect to happen in this one when I read it. Once again, I doubt Rule meant it to come across that way, but it definitely reads that way to me.

Tracks of a Serial Rapist-I have read this story at least three times now in other volumes.

Take a Lifer Home to Dinner . . . with Murder for Dessert!-Ugh. I didn't even finish this last story. I was really irritated after realizing I read the above story again.

Once again this volume does not hang together very well. This volume is called "Lying in Wait" and the first story shows that these women actually met the woman who ended up killing them. So there was no lying in wait there. I guess there was some element to that in some of the other stories here and there.