oblue

Abandoned by Booklikes

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

This Time Next Year
Progress: 100 %
Flag Counter

Three Pines in Winter

A Fatal Grace - Louise Penny

I maybe said, don't leave me when I finished this book. I swear, the Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series is becoming a fast favorite with me. We have Gamache reappearing in Three Pines again after the murder of a loathsome woman. I think that Penny, just like Christie, has a way for villains in her books. I was flat out over the woman that we get insight into after the first couple of pages.

"A Fatal Grace" follows Three Pines residents about a year after the murder that took place in the last book. Residents are still getting over the fact that a murderer lived among them for so long. They have a new family that moves in, but many of the residents are rightfully not that engaging with the family cause they are a grotesque family by name and blood. CC de Poitiers is a vapid woman who believes that she has the new big thing that millions will fall in line for called "Be Calm." She writes a book that she is sure is a best seller and seems to hate her husband and her daughter. Heck, she hates her lover as well. One wonders if there was ever anyone that CC did love, but that's a different book.

When CC dies in what looks to be an accident, Gamache is called onto the scene and quickly deduces murder. The problem is trying to remove people from their suspect list since it seems that CC ran afoul of everyone.

I think that what also made this a cool read for me was that we have Gamache's nemesis from the last book show up. I won't get into that here, spoilers and all, but there seems like there is something afoot that can end up hurting Gamache and boy oh boy was I yelling at him by the end of the book. Guess I will have to see how this plays out.

I will say that this book more than even the first gives you great insight into Gamache and what ultimately moves him. He lives by a different code that would not be out of place several hundred years before the time this book takes place.

I loved revisiting Three Pines. It's starting to be a wee bit like Cabot Cove or one of the Midsomer villages though. Cause after this latest murder, have to wonder how many people from the first two books will be left.

Image result for falling snow on trees gifs