Second Book in Series Very Good

Moon Over Soho  - Ben Aaronovitch

I read "Moon Over Soho" by  Ben Aaronovitch for the "Magical Realism" square.

Please note that some things mentioned below may spoil the events in book #1.

"Moon Over Soho" is the second book in the Peter Grant series. Due to a lot of us participating in Halloween bingo are reading this book, I am just going to keep this to a high level review.

First, I really liked all of the characters (Peter, Leslie, Nightingale, Peter's mom and dad, the jazz band guys).

Peter though I found to be way more than a little naive in this one. And I don't know, I found myself irritated with him for just not realizing something that I picked up on at a good 50 percent of the book. Don't want to spoil for others, but let's just say I was the least surprised person ever when a reveal popped up.

I wanted more of Leslie in this one. After the events in book #1, Leslie is laying low and trying to put her life and her poor face back together. I don't get it, I thought that Peter was a bit thoughtless towards her character. Now that she's not attractive anymore it seems he lost interest. Which doesn't speak well of him. I have to think more on that.

We do get some nice asides to Peter's family and his mother and father I found to be very cute together. I also liked Peter's commentary on black female hair (it's all true).

The writing was really good and just like in book #1 I laughed. One particular scene with Peter telling Nightingale that calling someone a black wizard was offensive towards black people was funny. Poor Nightingale. Can we please get a side story about his days before he joined the police?

The flow dragged for me in this though. Probably because as I said, I realized where the story was going after a lot of clues where laid out. I just got fed up with Peter for not being that smart. Also his complaining about magical training is getting old. Either suck it up, or don't do it anymore.

The ending left us with a little surprise and I wonder how that will play out in future books.