Great Callback to 14!

The Fold: A Novel - Peter Clines

Short review for a very good book.

I enjoyed it. I would suggest that readers read Clines other book, "14" before taking this on since there are some great Easter eggs in this book that were present in that book. We also get some glimpses at former characters. It's nice to know that "The Fold" and "14" share a universe.

When Mike Erikson is called upon by a childhood friend to take a look at a secret government project that involves teleportation, how could he say no. Mike gets involved with something called the Albuquerque Door that allows travelers to go a long distance in mere seconds. But Mike realizes right away that the scientists involved with the Door are hiding something and that something else seems to be off as well.

I loved Mike so much. When you eventually find out how he gets his name (I loved it) and realizing just how smart he was a great payoff.

That said, I didn't feel like the other characters, but Mike were developed very well. There is a reason for that though when you get into the story. I know that I should have felt a connection to someone like Jamie cause Mike had one with her. But instead, I started to have a bit of trouble of keeping everyone straight.

The writing was good, though it gets repetitive a bit for my taste. Clines going on and on about the "ants" talking to Mike and then they became red/black ants started to make me itch.

The flow took a bit to get going as well. The first part drags until the action starts and than you have Mike doing his best to science the shit out of things. I love stuff like that.

I liked the science/geekness of this universe a lot and think that Clines did a good job of setting it up and not talking it to death via characters too. Thank goodness.

The ending sets things up nicely for a follow on book.