16 Tasks of the Festive Season - Task Three - Verteran’s Day/Armistice Day

Night - Marion Wiesel, Elie Wiesel

"Night" broke me for several days. The ravages of the Holocaust are still felt to this day. It sickens me we still have Holocaust deniers. Also with the rise of white supremacists in the United States again, this book has been on my mind. We have people going to colleges and wanting to speak on ethnic cleansing to save the white race and I'm dumbfounded on a daily basis this is deemed acceptable by some people. That some people keep saying we as a nation have gone too PC and we've stifled free speech that these ideas should not be refused in our loudest voices by all.

This passage from this book haunts me.

“Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed....Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never.”

Tasks for Verteran’s Day/Armistice Day: Make, or draw a red poppy and show us a pic of your red poppy or other symbol of remembrance –OR– post a quote or a piece of poetry about the ravages of war.