oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo
Trevor Noah
Colonel Roosevelt
Edmund Morris
Toil & Trouble: 16 Tales of Women & Witchcraft
Tehlor Kay Mejia, Tristina Wright, Emery Lord, Andrea Cremer, Tess Sharpe, Jessica Spotswood, Brandy Colbert, Robin Talley, Anna-Marie McLemore, Zoraida Córdova, Brenna Yovanoff, Nova Ren Suma, Shveta Thakrar, Kate Hart, Lindsay Smith

Ending Lifted This to Four Star Read

Broken Homes - Ben Aaronovitch

I don't even know what to say! I am so gobsmacked right now.

Look, everyone that I talked to said the same thing. This is slow as anything. I was bored while reading and maybe fell asleep around the 60 percent mark. Things didn't make a lot of sense to me and I was tired of Peter feeling torn between Lesley (til he wasn't) and Beverly (eh I don't blame him for not getting involved with the river goddesses). But the ending that comes I did not see coming. And it's heartbreaking. And now I wonder what is going to happen next.

"Broken Homes" has Peter and company on the tail of the Faceless Man and also looking into a housing estate that maybe has ties to some magic.

This really wasn't that interesting to me. I don't know, fourth book syndrome. Things just meandered along. We get some peeks at Beverly and the rest of the river goddesses, but once again they are not in this one as much as they were in book #1.

Peter and Lesley are still practicing with Nightingale and yes we get some more details about Nightingale's family and school days. Still not enough for me, but enough to wet your appetite.

I don't know, I found Peter not as centered in this book. He was all over the place. A romantic pairing that I called in the last book rears it's head here and that seemed to give Peter some peace.

The writing was typical Aaronovitch, humor mixed in all over. However, I will complain a bit. We would have Peter as narrator tell you something and a line later, but little did I know what was going to happen next, and something would get explained in a line or two. Either show us it, or don't keep talking to us about things that you don't set up in the book.

As I said, the ending is definitely a game-changer. I wonder what happens next to Peter.