oblue

Abandoned by Booklikes

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

This Time Next Year
Progress: 100 %
Flag Counter

The Beginning of Kinsey Millhone

A is for Alibi - Sue Grafton

The first book in the Kinsey Millhone series. Though I love the series, the first book did have some issues. I think at times the book's flow got a bit rough. And the characters are not very developed yet. Grafton gives a short description of Kinsey. It takes a lot of books to find out about her last, how she came to live with her aunt, and her past marriages. Getting the build up to all of that is wonderful though.

Kinsey at the time of his book is 32 and twice divorced. A private investigator who is able to pay the bills. She is hired by a woman who was convicted of murdering her husband. The woman claimed she is innocent and wants to find out who really killed her husband. Kindly ends up investigating this and another case of a young woman who also died by the same means.

We get broad strokes to other characters we will get to know later on the series like Henry Pitts, Rosie, and Lieutenant Dolan. I do wish we had a chance to spend more time with them in this first book, but Grafton focuses on the case that Kinsey is working as well as a romance that comes out of nowhere.

The writing was really good. Though as I said the flow was a bit off towards the end. I recall reading this the first time and being shocked by how the two cases were wrapped up. It's been years since I read this, so even this time I found myself pleasantly surprised again.

I enjoy the setting of Santa Teresa and it sounds ideal at times. The series takes place here and though the years may change, Santa Teresa is the main setting.

Kinsey goes through a life changing event in this one, that scars her a bit going into B is for Burglar.