oblue

Abandoned by Booklikes

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

This Time Next Year
Progress: 100 %
Flag Counter

Interesting Look at the World of Middle Earth

The Silmarillion - J.R.R. Tolkien,  Christopher Tolkien

So this was hard to read in just one sitting. It took me several days to finish with this. Honestly I am glad that I did read this, but it's definitely not a book I would re-read again. There were parts of it that put me right to sleep. I think my favorite section was The Third Age.

Tolkien definitely uses The Bible, Greek, and Roman mythology as inspiration for some of the characters and events in "The Silmarillion." I got a kick at first going oh this is supposed to be Hades, this is supposed to be Persephone, this is Neptune, etc. But yeah after a while I just ceased to care about some of the characters we were getting introduced to as we went along. It just read as this person and this person are related to this person, and they had sons named X.

I do have to say that Tolkien mirrors most of the language that is used in The Bible. I would call it excessively flowery language, but some of it definitely evokes a reaction in me.

For example:

"Three Rings for the Elven-Kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the shadows lie."

Doesn't that just make you sit and picture it in your head?

Other times though I found myself re-reading the same lines over and over again since he would sometimes put information on separate people in a sentence and I would go, wait, who is he talking about here?

"Oromë is a mighty lord. If he is less strong than Tulkas, he is more dreadful in anger; whereas Tulkas laughs ever, in sport or in war, and even in the face of Melkor he laughed in battles before the Elves were born. Oromë loved the lands of Middle-earth, and he left them unwillingly"

The flow was not great in this. I think that Tolkien was overly descriptive in a lot of places.

The setting of Middle Earth is fantastic though. I can see why so many people love The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy.