oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Silken Prey
Sally E. Thorne
Progress: 100 %
Hidden Empire
Kevin J. Anderson
An Alaskan Christmas (Wild River #1)
Jennifer Snow
One Night Gone
Tara Laskowski
Flag Counter

Not a Great Thriller

My Husband's Wife: A Novel - Jane Corry

Well this wasn't that great to me. We have two characters that were terrible in their own ways and I guess what the author considered twists/reveals. In the end the lack of development and interesting plot left me bored when the book finally gets to the end. I would call this out as similar to "The Girl Before" with two women who should know better getting involved with sub-par men. It drives me up the wall that the big thing in this genre now is a woman who either is being lied to by a man and or is lying to a man. The woman is probably blonde and or attractive. And the man in question may as well hold up a sign saying "I am evil" and the woman ignores all warning signs about the man and just goes traipsing along like it's not a big deal.

"My Husband's Wife" has two main characters, Lily and Carla. The book starts off with newly married Lily working on a potential case of an innocent man who was tried and convicted for the murder of his live in girlfriend.

Carla is Lily's 9 year old neighbor. Carla is dealing with her mother and her being gone a lot now that her mother is dating someone named Larry. Carla wishes that her mother was home more and wants more than anything to be rid of Larry.

Eventually the two characters stories sync up (it takes a little bit) when Lily comes home one day and finds Carla injured after an incident at her school. Carla's mother then starts to depend on Lily and her husband Ed to watch Carla for her.

Eventually things come to a head and the story skips ahead 16 years later when Carla is in her late 20s and Lily is in her 40s or I think just turned 40. The time jumps got to me after a while and I stopped paying attention.

Lily has issues galore. She is still shaken over the death of her brother from about a decade ago. She loves her new husband, but feels like he is only with her out of charity. The angst you get from Lily concerning that her husband can't love a woman her size (she's a 14) and the anger she has about his ex girlfriend is constant in the early part of the book. Lily also is naive as anything. She starts obsessing about the convicted criminal whose case she is working on who reminds her of her brother. That says it all right there right?

Carla is not a great character as child and it's even worse when she pops back up again as an adult. Carla runs around thinking she is owed something and uses her looks to get back at those she thinks have wronged her.

I have to say that books that come out saying they are a psychological thriller should actually be a psychological thriller. There is no "there" in this book. The author takes us down a long winding road to get to what happened with LIly's brother. And then it doesn't make sense to me when we get the reveal why in the world did Lily's mother react this way to her son's death (pretending he's not dead). I just rolled my eyes.

The writing wasn't great and the flow was awful. I think having an adult and a child as the main characters for the first half wasn't that great of an idea. It also grossed me out a bit when we get to the second part of the book when you read about Carla and who she eventually gets involved with.

The setting of London ends up reading as bleak and oppressive. Everyone is a liar and everyone is grossly unhappy.

The ending fizzled out a lot. It was just more justifications for the character of Lily to make about why she's a terrible person, but has reasons for it.