oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Dashing Through the Snow: A Christmas Novel
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Fifty Shades New Zealand Style

Fierce (Not Quite a Billionaire) - Rosalind  James

This ended up being a big old nope at 20 percent. I usually love Rosalind James's books. I recommend her Escape to New Zealand series to anyone that asks about a really good romance with some hot scenes.

Premise is that this book follows a New Zealand Mr. Grey (Hemi) coming along and deciding that he is going to (swear word) a woman (Hope) that he meets when he goes to see a photo shoot set up.

James can usually turn a phrase and make me see her characters, but I had a hard time even picturing this whole thing. She tried to turn her New Zealand characters into Christian Grey and Anastasia Steele and it did not work at all.

The little we find out about Hope is that she is struggling to make things work for her and her teenage sister. They are sharing a tiny place in New York (I think it's a studio) and she's working for an insane photographer. When she meets Hemi she feels intrigued by him and he weirdly decides he is going to have to have her. Cause that's what doms do I guess (I have no idea). Hemi arranges things so that Hope gets a job at his company and from there he is going to make sure that she eventually gives into him (barf).

Hemi is crude and sorry not sexy at all to me. I was done after he propositions Hope in his office and she rightfully slaps him. Of course James has Hope thinking to herself that she could not helped being turned on by the whole thing and I just quit this book at this point. I just got frustrated because a scene before this Hemi tries to force Hope into going out to dinner with him and she says no to that. He even tries to force her to go overseas on an assignment even after she explains why she can't (her sister being left alone is a huge problem). So he's not exactly blowing my socks off with empathy.

I would recommend passing on this one.