oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Cold Hit
Linda Fairstein
Progress: 34 %
Dead Beat
Jim Butcher
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo

Why Didn't They Ask Evans?

Why Didn't They Ask Evans? - Agatha Christie

What a fun look at a standalone Christie. "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" is definitely full of twists and turns. I also didn't realize the guilty party until the end of the book. The characters of Bobby Jones and Frankie Derwent (Lady Frances) are delightful and some parts of this book remind me of "The Seven Dials Mystery" which is not a bad thing.

"Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" begins with Bobby Jones and the local doctor playing golf when they realize that a man has fallen off a nearby cliff and is near death. Bobby stays with the man and is there to witness his last words "Why didn't they ask Evans?". Bobby goes through the man's pocket and finds a photograph of a young woman that looks slightly otherworldly. A man comes by and offers to stay with the now dead man while Bobby runs off home. When an inquest comes up Bobby feels slightly disappointed by the dead man's family and then eventually remembers the man's last words and sends off a letter about it. From there though things heat up with someone trying to murder Bobby. His childhood friend Lady Frances (Frankie) starts to think that something about the dead man is dangerous and could lead Bobby to his own end. The two of them put their heads together and managed to track down the man that Bobby ended up leaving the dead man alone with and from there meet dangerous characters all over the place.

I really liked Bobby. He seems to have a harebrained idea with his friend Badger (that name) but definitely doesn't want to give up until he finds out who possibly murdered the man he came across.

Frankie is similar to previous Christie female characters who keep on investigating even if it leads to their peril.

I loved the writing and the flow of the book improves after we get out of the first couple of chapters. It was a bit slow going at first.

The setting of the book has it taking place before World War II. It was interesting since most of Poirot's and Miss Marple's stories take place after World War II,

The ending was definitely a shocker. I was happy though with how things ended up.