oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Cold Hit
Linda Fairstein
Progress: 34 %
Dead Beat
Jim Butcher
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons Series)
Leigh Bardugo

The Small Hand-Not Scary

The Small Hand - Susan Hill

Honestly I am annoyed that I didn't just wait for this via the library, but since my house is empty of furniture and my bookshelves are wrapped up, I don't want to have a pile of books just sitting around from the library. "The Small Hand" starts off very well and then flounders from there to a very disappointing and confusing ending. I was left with way more questions than answers and kept trying to see if any reviewers had any insight into this book. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any explanations out there regarding the ending, so maybe I will post on Goodreads and see what people say.

An antiquarian book seller named Adam Snow ends up getting lost and finds an abandoned home. Once called the White House, it was famous far and wide for the gardens that the owner had installed. Adam stumbles around and realizes as he is there, that a small cold hand takes his own. Only problem is that there is no one there.  After taking hold of the small hand, Adam is in essence haunted. He starts to find out drips and drabs about the White House and a tragic accident that takes place there.

I don't know. Adam was intriguing, but Hill doesn't do enough to develop him. I was most disappointed that Hill spends time on Adam looking into a rare book that a friend of his tells him about. We spend way too much time on that than on Adam having a panic attack that almost leads to him drowning himself.

I felt the most frustrated though when Adam realizes a slim connection to White House and doesn't pursue it.

When we get to the ending and the reveal it just fell flat. I had a lot of questions and wanted to know the why behind some things.

If you really want to read this, suggest getting it at a library, not worth buying it via Kindle or Nook.