oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Dashing Through the Snow: A Christmas Novel
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Something Missing

This Could Change Everything - Jill Mansell

Ehh this was definitely missing something. I have enjoyed the last two Mansell books I have read, but this one felt a bit empty and I honestly didn't like two out of the three main characters. I was more intrigued by a secondary character and definitely wished for her to have a better love interest than the one she got in the end.

"This Could Change Everything" has Essie Phillips getting kicked out of her apartment by her boyfriend after an email she writes is accidentally sent to everyone in her contacts list.

Essie writes one of those weird Round Robin letters that people send out around Christmas. Instead of her lying about her accomplishments she is brutally honest about what a pain her boss is and how her boyfriend's cleaning habits are a bit much. Only problem is that her boss is also her boyfriend's mother. Essie invited her brother to say with her and a friend he meets ends up staying the night (Lucas) who thought it would be very funny to send the email out to everyone Essie knows.

Essie ends up meeting an older woman named Ziillah looking to rent the top floor of her home. Zillah realizes that Essie will make a great tenant and happily welcomes her to her home along with another tenant named Conner. Mansell has the story going back and forth between these three.

My favorite character to read about was Zillah. Zillah is in her 80s and has some regrets about her life. Married three times, and only one of those marriages being successful, she wishes she didn't marry her first two husbands. We also find out that Zillah is up to making amends a bit by using her money to make wishes come true for dying adults. I don't know if I liked this little subplot or not. I ended up reading and not feeling much of anything about that which is weird for me. I cry at a drop of a hat usually. I think I just ended up feeling emotionally manipulated and didn't care for it.

I didn't really like Essie much at all. She ends up going back to being a waitress and works for Lucas. Lucas and Essie seem to like each other, big problem is that Essie blames him for ruining her life and Lucas has a seemingly perfect girlfriend. As readers you have to hope they get together which means cheating (bah). I also hated the reveal about Lucas and his life and the whole email thing. It didn't make any sense,

Conner is a snob. There is no way to explain his whole thing. I wasn't rooting for him and hated the fact that Scarlett (Essie's best friend) even had a crush on him.

The writing was okay, but unlike with previous Mansell books there was nothing that really made any characters sing. I was bored for most of these stories and thought that Mansell took an easy route out to resolve some things instead of making us dislike certain characters.

The ending happens and it doesn't seem fully like a happy ending at least to me. An okay book to pass the time.