oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Dashing Through the Snow: A Christmas Novel
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Lowcountry Bookshop

Lowcountry Bookshop - Susan M. Boyer

Oh I am annoyed I bought this. What a lackluster book. I used to really enjoy the "Liz Talbot" mysteries, but geez, the last three have been a bunch of well that happened. I think I was ultimately dissatisfied by the main mystery (how did a man end up in the middle of the road hit by a car) and then we still have the never ending nonsense with Liz and her dreams about the end of Stella Maris. Colleen is not in this one that much (not complaining) but she really doesn't add much to the book. The reveal at what went on I guessed at pretty early since that was the only explanation that made sense. I also felt frustrated because there doesn't seem to be any calling out on the people who are responsible for someone's death.

"Lowcountry Bookshop" has Liz and Nate hired by a mysterious client to keep a local mailwoman from being arrested for a hit and run. The mailwoman (Poppy) found a man she knows on her route dead in the middle of the road during a rain storm. Poppy didn't like him, and she claims he beat his wife. Though the police don't have enough evidence to charge Poppy yet, there doesn't seem to be another explanation. Liz and Nate investigate and find out about a hidden Charleston they knew nothing about.

Liz is still dealing with the fallout from her dreams about the end of Stella Maris and Nate dying. She dreams of two children who cannot possibly be hers and left a widow. Trying to work through that while also investigating a hit and run accident is a lot of her to do. Liz and Nate still make excellent partners and I love how they work together.

I have to say though when we get Colleen's terrible explanation behind Liz and her dream I don't get why Liz didn't go off on her. It made very little sense and I have to say that Colleen and her whole guardian angel of Stella Maris thing is wearing very thin with me. At first this was pretty cool, but it got a bit samey. I think Boyer did a smart thing with do to Colleen and her sticking her nose in with Liz and Nate has her sidelined from interfering with their investigations. However, doing that has made her not necessary to the story.

Liz is also dealing with her sister about to leave to get married and that also didn't ring very true. I wish we had a wedding to look forward to or something. Liz's whole family felt a bit flat in this one. I feel sad saying this, but even Liz and her crazy family were not enough to get me to enjoy this one. It just didn't ring true and felt very fake (the ghosts, pig, etc. was too much).

The secondary characters: Poppy, and some women with ties to a bookstore didn't really work. I liked the idea behind what the women were doing, but have to say that they actions were problematic.

The writing was typical Boyer. I hope you like hearing about delicious food, restaurants, clothing, and homes/rooms. The flow was okay, though I think that the book just didn't come together very well.

And as I said above, I didn't like the resolution since it left a stink on a good man and I didn't believe at all the why behind everything. I felt like we needed one more scene, or maybe more with the police to discuss what happened next. Instead that was left twisting in the wind.