oblue

Obsidian Black Plague

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The opposite house.
John E. Douglas, Mark Olshaker
Flag Counter

DNF at 44 Percent

My Name Is Lucy Barton: A Novel - Elizabeth Strout

I just gave up finishing this. I DNFed at 44 percent. I wasn't enjoying this and the narrative style was just drab. We have I hope the narrator Lucy Barton (I don't know since I don't think the woman so far has not said her name) who is going into her family's history, her writing, husband, children, all while in the hospital. Her mother is there since her husband is apparently elsewhere. It's just a weird book and I got tired of it staring at me from my Kindle.

I think the biggest issue I had was that Lucy herself is a non-entity. She just seems to float through the world and meets people she attaches too much significance to. I am a bit baffled that she was estranged from her parents for so long and then her mother shows up and tells her stories about people they know/knew. It feels like a reverse Scheherazade to me since I kept hoping that Lucy's mother would stop talking so that either Lucy or she would die. It make it more interesting than what we got.

I do feel bad that this fairly short book turned out to be a snooze. I know it got a lot of acclaim, but this was just a strong no from me.