oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Dashing Through the Snow: A Christmas Novel
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Double, Double, Toil and Trouble

Wyrd Sisters - Terry Pratchett

I really don't enjoy reading books out of order, but since this was our buddy read for Halloween bingo, I didn't have a choice this time. The Color of Magic is sitting on my bookshelves and I hope I will be able to read it for the next 16 Festive Tasks. Or just whenever this year. If you want to read a non-scary book about witches, this one is for you. I cracked up a lot reading about witches in this world (Discworld) and how three witches get involved after a king (King Verence I of Lancre) is murdered (as one does). I probably missed some in jokes on the Discworld series since I started with book #6 and not #1, but I am sure some people will point that out to me.

When the King Verence I of Lancre is murdered by his cousin, Duke Felmet, one of his servants hides his child away and the child is given to three witches. The three witches are:  Granny Weatherwax; Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlick, so Pratchett sets up right away the three archetypes of the maiden, the mother, and the crone.

Granny doesn't want to meddle with Duke Felmet though Nanny and Magrat do want to not only keep the baby, but meddle with Felmet. Two of the witches, Nanny and Granny have some backstory going on and it is hilarious to see them going at each other.

You will also love hearing about one witch (apparently just the one) who was responsible for Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and came to her doom due to some kids putting her in her own oven.

The Duke is just shiftless and the witches know that things will get worse with him ruling so they realize that they may need to do what they can to make sure the king's son lives and rules. The Duke's wife is pretty horrible and I did love how Pratchett wrapped up her story. We also have someone just called The Fool who plays an important part in this story.

I also loved the writing. There were some hilarious bits in this book. Though I was less enamored with the inclusion of play type writing. We had Pratchett in several places linking things up to Shakespeare's three witches in Macbeth. I do get why he did it since the Wyrd Sisters we have here are a play on the ones from that play and the way Pratchett has the Duke ordering a play to be made about the terrible witches in order to look better.  I just had a hard time switching writing styles back and forth. I also had an issue with the footnotes in the Kindle version I got. I tried clicking on them and sometimes they took me to where they note was, but had a hard time getting back to where I was at prior to clicking the footnote.

Loved the world building with these three witches meddling to do what is necessary to save the kingdom.

The ending was hilarious to me. No spoilers, but you pretty much get some funny reveals about the new King and I cracked up.