oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Tedious & Boring

The Essex Serpent - Sarah Perry

I really don't have much to say about this one. I was bored throughout. It took me several days to finish since I just couldn't get into this. I didn't like any of the characters. I thought the narrative style switching to letters made the flow even worse. The ending was just there and seemed set it up for a sequel (no thank you).

"The Essex Serpent" is set in Victorian London and takes place mostly in an Essex village in 1890. The book starts off with Cora Seaborne dealing with the death of her husband. Cora finally feels free after years of abuse from her husband. She seems surrounded by many people who love her (her companion Martha and a doctor, Luke Garrett). When Cora finally gives herself over to being able to study naturalism, she moves to Essex and finds herself meeting the local villagers and finding herself there.

Will Ransome is the local vicar and is doing what he can to drive out thoughts of the Essex Serpent being real. When Will meets Cora, the two initially don't like each other, however, they eventually come to see each other more and start to have feelings for each other. Even though Will is happily married to his wife of many years, Stella.

The book just flip flops between characters, that also didn't help. We follow Cora, Martha, Will, Stella, Luke, etc throughout the book. Maybe if Perry only had the book going back and forth between Cora and Will it would have worked better.

The writing was fine, I just didn't care to delve too deep into this one. I was bored. I found myself skimming certain pages just wanting to be done.

There doesn't seem to be much of a lesson in this one besides people running around and not being with the person that they want to be and myths of serpents. if anything, this book just seemed to be love triangle after love triangle set in Victorian London. That's probably why I didn't like it much.