oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Veterans/Armistice Day-24 TASKS

Diwali

Task 1:  Using book covers (real or virtual), create a close approximation of your country’s flag (either of residence or birth), OR a close approximation of a poppy.  Take a pic of your efforts and post.

I decided to do a poppy with books on my virtual book shelf. I was going to do this on the floor of my office, but the contractors are on their way and I resisted the urge to make a mess they would have to crawl over.

Task 2: Make an offer of peace (letter, gift, whatever) to a book character who has particularly annoyed you this year.

Dear Alexandra Cooper,

You seem to be a perfectly adequate prosecutor when not obsessing about Mike and Mercer and making sure that they are constantly at your beck and call. The jealousy you experienced when Mike dared to be seeing someone and how weepy you got that he would not be there to save you as you ran from a murder because he was probably off somewhere with his girlfriend made me feel equal portions of annoyance and disdain. I finally gave up reading any more about your adventures since you also seemed to not so subtly be slut shaming some of the women that came to you for help. You should try calling your family once in a while.

I wanted to give you a book about narcissism which I hope helps you take a hint about how the world doesn't revolve around you.

Best wishes,

Obsidian Blue

The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement by [Twenge, Jean M., Campbell, W. Keith]

Task 3: Tell us: What author’s books would you consider yourself a veteran of (i.e., by which author have you read particularly many books – or maybe even all of them)?

I would consider myself a veteran of Agatha Christie's books. I got into them due to Moonlight going on about her during our Amazon forum days. I was so happy to see so many fans here and really enjoyed the year long Christie project that had me reading her Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot books. I need to go back and read her other books, but you all have scared me about "Passenger to Frankfurt" and "They Come to Baghdad". I am going to have to finish the Colonel Race and Tommy and Tuppence books soon.

Task 4: Treat yourself to a slice of poppy seedcake and post a photo. If you want to make it yourself, try out this recipe: https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/poppy-seed-cake/ … or this one: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1629633/lemon-and-poppy-seed-cake

Hmmm I don't like poppy seeds. I will have to see about finding a cake and posting a picture of it though.

Book:  Read any book involving wars, battles, where characters are active military or veterans, or with poppies on the cover.

I was thinking of reading "The Man in the Brown Suit" since Colonel Race is in it and I haven't read it before.