oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

St. Andrew's Day-24 Tasks

St. Andrew's Day

Task 1:  Nominate someone for sainthood.  Who?  Why?

I am going to nominate Lousia May Alcott who refused to give in to fans of Little Women and did not have Jo and Laurie get together. People still complain about that even if you are a reader of the books and realize those two would have murdered each other. I think the best thing an author can do is hold to their vision for their characters and not bow under pressure by the fandom. I still say JK Rowling should have pushed back on people insisting that Harry couldn't die and Hermonie and Ron should be together. Bah.

Task 2: St Andrew is revered in many countries, particularly in Eastern Europe, where he worked as a Christian missionary, long before his relics were brought to Scotland centuries later. – Tell us: Is there a book (regardless whether fiction or nonfiction) for which you would basically walk up to strangers and tell them: “Read this!”? What would you say and do to get people to read that particular book?

Oh wow. I have already told people at my office to read Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon. The one person who has read it based on my recommendation loved it and thanked me for recommending it to him. That book moved me in ways that had me weeping while reading. The entire story is told in the first person by Cory. There is not much to say besides the fact that I thought that Cory was wonderful as a character. Robert R. McCammon perfectly captures an 11 year old boy who loves his family, friends, and his loyal dog. Watching as Cory starts to understand the power of words, telling stories, and ultimately writing down his stories was great. This book had so many great lines.

“The truth of life is that every year we get farther away from the essence that is born within us.

We get shouldered with burdens, some of them good, some of them not so good. Things happen to us. Loved ones die. People get in wrecks and get crippled. People lose their way, for one reason or another. It's not hard to do, in this world of crazy mazes. Life itself does its best to take that memory of magic away from us. You don't know its happening until one day you feel you've lost something but you're not sure what it is. It's like smiling at a pretty girl and she calls you 'sir'. It just happens.”

“Maybe crazy is what they call anybody who's got magic in them after they're no longer a child.”

“If you were my girlfriend I would give you a hundred lightning bugs in a green glass jar, so you could always see your way. I would give you a meadow full of wildflowers, where no two blooms would ever be alike. I would give you my bicycle, with its golden eye to protect you. I would write a story for you, and make you a princess who lived in a white marble castle. If you would only like me, I would give you magic. If you would only like me.”

“I understood then what courage is all about. It is loving someone else more than you love yourself.”

“They may look grown-up,” she continued, “but it’s a disguise. I

t’s just the clay of time.

Men and women are still children deep in their hearts.

They still would like to jump and play, but that heavy clay won’t let them.

They’d like to shake off every chain the world’s put on them, take off their watches and neckties and Sunday shoes and return naked to the swimming hole, if just for one day.

They’d like to feel free, and know that there’s a momma and daddy at home who’ll take care of things and love them no matter what.

Even behind the face of the meanest man in the world is a scared little boy trying to wedge himself into a corner where he can’t be hurt.”

Task 3: Legend has it that the saltire or St. Andrew’s cross (white on an azure background) – which constitutes the national flag of Scotland – originated as a cloud formation, symbolizing St. Andrew’s being crucified on an X-shaped cross rather than an upright one.  Do you have any pictures of unusual cloud formations?  If so, share them with us!

This was a picture I took at the pool in August this year. I though the cloud looked like a young girl with her arms out about to take off and fly.

This is a picture I took in Portland this April. It's weird, when I took this it seemed like Mt. Hood was surrounded by clouds. I pretended to myself that they were clouds whisking gods and goddesses off to Mount Olympus.

This is a picture I took at Great Falls in September 2017. I thought the clouds in the sky looked like cotton balls.

Task 4: The town of St. Andrews, where the saint’s bones ended up in the course of the spread of Christianity to Scotland, is also famous for its golf course and tournament.  List your 3 favorite books where golf is key to the plot.

1. Murder in the Mews (Hercule Poirot #18) by Agatha Christie. I don't want to spoil this whole thing, but golf is a central part of this story.

2. 4:50 from Paddington (Miss Marple # 8) by Agatha Christie. Lucy Eyelesbarrow uses her practicing golf in order to look for a body that is hidden.

3. Why Didn't They Ask Evans? by Agatha Christie. One of the main characters in this one (Bobby) finds a man dying on the golf course.

Book: Andrew was the first apostle; read the first book in a series. OR:  Andrew and Peter were brothers; read a book about brothers. OR: Read books about or set in Scotland or by a Scottish author, or set in Charleston, South Carolina (which is where the celebrations as we know them today began – by a group of Scottish expats – according to scotland.org).

Yeah a Rosamunde Pilcher book should fit this! Going to read Snow in April.