oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Sinterklaas / St. Nicholas Day-24 Tasks

Sinterklaas / St. Nicholas Day

Task 1:  Write a book wish list to St. Nick.

Dear Saint Nick,

I apologize in advance for the number of books that I want. I can't help it though, I love books. I do want to say that my goal for 2019 is to read more books by women and men of color. Thanks in advance for helping me out with that!

BecomingNot That Bad: Dispatches from Rape CultureThe Wedding PartyThe Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)

A Princess in Theory (Reluctant Royals, #1)On the Come UpThe Key to Happily Ever AfterThe Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)

Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant, #7)The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)Black Enough: Stories of Being Young & Black in AmericaThe Everlasting Rose (The Belles, #2)

The Downstairs GirlHere and Now and ThenWhat We Talk About When We Talk about RapeMagical Negro

Task 2: You are King / Queen for the day and can have 3 ‘wishes’:  one for yourself, one for your community (however you define it), and one for the world: What are they?

Wish for me-I wish that I could take a fantastic trip to a different country in 2019.

Wish for the community-I wish that we could have an open and honest conversation about race and religion and have people stop trying to shut down things. I loathe that we still have states in this country that like to pretend still that the Civil War was over states right. I loathe that we all act like Jim Crow laws were not a thing. It makes me seethe that we had a whole Civil Rights Movement that took place in the 1950s and 1960s and people act like we have come so far, though not really. I hate that if I say black lives matter, I get people screeching about me about the police and how black lives matter is a hate/terrorist organization.

Image result for civil rights movement

Wish for the world-That we stop sugarcoating it when people are pushing racist ideologies the world over. Call them out, call them racist. Call it a lie when someone uses an obvious terrible talking point. It seems scary to me that we seem to be hell-bent on going around and blaming immigrants for everything in the U.S. with some factions in Europe doing the same thing. At this point I wonder if people just want them to be pushed out to sea to fend for themselves or what.

Task 3: If your holiday family traditions should include bowls or plates filled with gingerbread, cookies, oranges / tangerines, chocolate, nuts and the like, share a photo with us!

I probably will have to skip this. Will see if I am up for taking pictures to post.

Task 4: List your 3 favorite books involving children being rescued from serious peril.

1. The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, review can be found HERE

2. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, review can be found HERE

3. The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist #1) by Rick Yancey, review can be found

HERE

Book: with an orange or red cover or with nuts, chocolate or coins on the cover, set in The Netherlands or Germany, by a Dutch or German author, or with canals or beer on the cover.

Daughters of the Witching Hill