oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

I'd Know You Anywhere
Laura Lippman
A Place of Hiding (Inspector Lynley, #12)
Elizabeth George
Bruce Goldfarb
Flag Counter

Full Throttle

Full Throttle: Stories - Joe Hill

Per usual I am grading the anthology as a whole with star reviews for the short stories. I thought some of the stories were quite brilliant and others I hard passed on due to how they were formatted. I tend to be fussy about things like that when reading a hardcover, I end up getting a headache most of the time. Two stories I previously read in other anthologies though which was kind of annoying. I prefer it if I am buying a new hardcover it's all new stories.

Throttle (3.5 stars)-This wasn't a bad short story, but reading about a biker gang and a trucker gone astray was weird. I think it's the problem that the tone was wrong in this one. If Stephen King had written this, it would have made more sense to me. I think the voices in this just didn't "feel" right to me while reading.

Dark Carousel (5 stars)-Yeah, I still say carousel rides are the creepiest thing on this Earth and this story has cemented that to me. Reading about a group of teens who are not wholly bad, or wholly good, pay consequences when they do something terrible to a carousel operator. I loved the ending of this one too.

Wolverton Station (3 stars)-Yeah this was just weird to me and I think I was supposed to be scared of think deep thoughts about this, but I just kept going, is this weird? Yes.

By The Silver Water Of Lake Champlain (4.5 stars)-I honestly really loved this one. It takes a while to build up. You have a young girl who is what you would call a "dreamer" when she and the boy she loves (and who she sees a future with) find what they consider a dinosaur on the beach of Lake Champlain. I felt so bad at the ending of this story. I think Hill writes kids very well, and this short story showcases that.

Faun-(5 stars but only after re-reading)-This was so damn slow and boring. I was wondering whether to pitch the book after this, but then things pick up halfway through and by the ending my jaw dropped. I do have to say that this needed to be edited a lot more tightly. It just drifts and you jump around to other POVs and I was confused about who was "speaking" at times.

Late Returns (5 stars)-Every reader out there should read this short story. All I am going to say.

All I Care About is You (5 stars)-Gut punch I was not expecting. This one is truly straight up horror and I would love to see it get the Dark Mirror treatment. No spoilers on this one. It was just so surprising.

Thumbprint (3.5 stars)-Honestly this one dragged for me. The ending was interesting though.

The Devil on the Staircase-Can't rate cause I skipped over it due to how Hill decided to tell the story. He had the sentences formatted as staircases. Gimicky as heck and it drove me up the wall and I quit after trying to read and follow 2 pages.

Twittering from the Circus of the Dead-Can't rate due to reading tweets is not my favorite thing to do on my freaking phone. Trying to read them in a book was worse somehow.

Mums (5 stars)-Wonderful story from beginning to end. I think this one would have been a better anchor story.

In the Tall Grass (5 stars)-Re-read. I previously read this before in November 2018, see my review, https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2584567581?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1

You Are Released (5 stars)-Re-read. Previously published in Stephen King's short story collection that he edited, "Flight or Fright." I gave this 5 stars before, so gave it 5 stars again, you can see my review, https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2522435151?book_show_action=false&from_review_page=1