oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Poet: A Novel
The Night Country
Melissa Albert
Lady in the Lake
Laura Lippman
Captivated (The Donovan Legacy)
Nora Roberts
John Connolly
Flag Counter

The Black Cabinet

The Black Cabinet - Jill Watts

Please note that I received this book via NetGalley. This did not affect my rating or review.

Not too much to say. This was a solid book of history though a bit dry at times (as much history books are) and I enjoyed it. I honestly recall hearing about this when I was in college, but had no idea about the "Black Cabinet" during high school. Since I focused most of my studies on Far East Asia, I never really delved deeper into U.S. history after my degree prerequisites. I think Jill Watts does a great job of providing details about the period of time (during the Franklin D. Roosevelt years of 1933-1945).

I thought that that this book was eye-opening about racism that many of this officials had to deal with. Many were seen as "token" hires and had to deal with discrimination in the cabinets/departments there were working in and or heading up. I think many would want to give Roosevelt some credit here, but you also see how a lot of times he did nothing more than lip service. For example, a lot of African Americans did not benefit at all from many of the New Deal Acts that were passed. Shocking I know.

One of the most important things about the men and women who belonged to this group was the fact that they laid the foundation to the Civil Rights Movement in the 1950s and 1960s in the United States.