oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Retelling of Snow White and Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeper and the Spindle - Neil Gaiman, Chris Riddell

Not much to say besides how much I adored this one. It's fairly short, about 80/90 pages with illustrations (e-book version). The illustrations are really what sold this book to me though. They make the story come alive.

"The Sleeper and the Spindle" begins with some dwarves who have gone into a neighboring kingdom and heard about a castle where everyone is sleeping. Through the years the sleep spell has spread and now many people feel they are all doomed to sleep. The dwarves go back to their own kingdom and meet with the Queen (otherwise known as her Majesty) and she is told about the sleep spell. Though she's to be married (like the next day) she decides to ride off with the dwarves to see about breaking the spell.

I loved that Gaiman never gives you anyone's name. He pretty much treats it as if you should know who people are at this point.

Hint, it's Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. What I thought worked really well is that it is heavily implied and then shown that Snow White's battle with her stepmother and all that entails has left her marked in a ways. She's not exactly jumping up and down to rule.

I loved the twist ending since I thought it was heading in a different direction. Now I need a follow-up to this story.