oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
Rainbow Rowell, Holly Black, Laini Taylor, Myra McEntire, Kiersten White, Stephanie Perkins, Gayle Forman, Matt de la Pena, Jenny Han, Ally Carter, Kelly Link, David Levithan
Secrets of the Tulip Sisters
Louise Erdrich
Flag Counter

Advent-24 Tasks

Advent

Task 1:  Post a picture of your advent calendar - store bought or homemade.

Yeah, I broke this out this weekend. I just posted the same picture from last year though because the one I took of it this morning was really blurry. I was in a hurry. I also managed to put up my stockings too. However that's it for decorations so far this year. The counter-tops and half bath were done this weekend. So hoping when I get home today there are signs of more progress. We are looking at finishing up everything by this Friday (please let that happen).

Task 2: The holidays season is in full swing – tell us:  What’s your favorite tradition?

Well my own tradition is to watch every version of "A Christmas Carol" that I can before Christmas. I also still throw in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" because Linus is the best and his speech always moves me to tears. This Saturday I watched "Scrooge" with Albert Finney. Up next I think is going to be "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott and then "A Christmas Carol" with Patrick Stewart. If you don't think I am putting The Muppets in there, you don't know me.

Image result for i thank you very much scrooge gif

Image result for muppets christmas carol gif

Task 3: The tradition of carol singing in the Advent / holiday season is linked to the old Anglo-Saxon (and medieval) custom of wassailing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassailing). Prepare an apple cider wassail bowl or a wassail bowl containing your favorite drink or fruit. Post a picture and enjoy!

That's a no from me. Sorry, I don't have my kitchen back, and even when I do get it back (hopefully this Friday). I am going to be missing from the site from December 10th on. I am having surgery the 11th and will be in the hospital for a few days. And then when I get released, no lifting. I think my Kindle is light enough for me to get away with lifting things.

Task 4: Make your own Advent wreath and share a picture of it. Instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWw83CCa2cg

No thanks.

Book: Advent also means “second coming”: Read a pastiche, or a book written by an “authorised author” by the deceased author’s estate. OR: There are four Sundays in Advent. Read the fourth book of a series or a book with the word “four” in the title.

Planned read is Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (The Wicked Years, #1) by Gregory Maguire. I am basing this on Goodreads though. It may not be correct.