oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Uprooted
The Witches Are Coming
Lindy West
The Truths We Hold
Kamala Harris
A Place of Hiding (Inspector Lynley, #12)
Elizabeth George
Daisy Jones & The Six
Taylor Jenkins Reid
Flag Counter

Earlier Dean Koontz with a Pseudonym Doesn't Work

Icebound - Dean Koontz, David Axton

So I found this book on my shelf and I don't remember it at all. I either DNFed this thing or just erased the memory from my head because it was awful. At times I kept getting a case of deja vu, though now I realize it's because I was mis-remembering this book along with Dan Brown's "Deception Point." That's another terrible book that I don't even want to get into right now.

Look this is going to be short (for me). This book was awful. Heck I think even Koontz acknowledges how bad it was. He wrote it under another name and once he got all successful it was published under his own name. Sometimes it is better to just leave things alone.

"Icebound" has a team of UN scientists who are stationed in the Arctic to research ice fields. The team is supposed to be setting up explosives to break off a piece of ice to study it.  No, I don't think that sounds smart either. Prior to detonation though a tsunami somehow occurs and breaks off the ice the team is currently stationed on. Yes, I do agree this sounds similar in a bad way to Armageddon. If that's not enough, we find out a killer is among the group after one character is attacked and another is found dead Cause killers go to the Arctic.

The characters we are supposed to be rooting for are husband and wife team Doctors Harry and Rita Carpenter. I can't even recall the names of the other people. Call them plot points 1 (Rita's ex lover and seriously why is he there?) through 6 or maybe it's 7. I can't even tell you people's names at this point. It was too much information coming at me every five minutes.

We also get a point of view of a submarine rescue mission of the scientists and no I had no idea why that was included. It read so weird to me.

The writing wasn't there and doesn't read like Koontz. A few times I wondered if he heard people speaking in sentences before because I thought the "voices" and flow of the narration was poor. Also seriously a killer is among them. There's already enough going on with them being afloat on a broken off piece of ice.

The setting of the ice float did nothing for me. I mean you read about how cold it is, how characters cannot see anything, etc.

The ending was hilariously bad. I got nothing else.