oblue

Obsidian Blue

Government drone by day and book lover and geek girl by night!

Uprooted
The Witches Are Coming
Lindy West
The Truths We Hold
Kamala Harris
A Place of Hiding (Inspector Lynley, #12)
Elizabeth George
Daisy Jones & The Six
Taylor Jenkins Reid
Flag Counter

Guy Fawkes Night

Guy Fawkes Night

Door 4:  Guy Fawkes Night

Task 1: Make a list of the top 3 treasonous crimes against books that an author can commit.

1. Information dumps via a character instead of actually investing time in world building, the plot, or character motivations that make sense to me as a reader.

2. Having baby talk during a sex scene (talking to you romance authors).

3. Having unprotected sex with a guy you just met after he rescues you from a pit you fell in (remember Holly?) Holly by Jude Deveraux. This book was soul killing. It had all of my least favorite tropes for romance authors.

Task 2: Start a revolution: What one thing would you change about the book reading world? (Be it publishing, distribution, editing, cover art, bookstores – anything having to do with books.)

I would honestly love to change what is going on right now with Macmillan publishing and them limiting books to libraries. I hate that so many people out there see libraries as a scourge for authors and publishing houses since they view them as "losing money". You can't pay for good word of mouth for a book so I wish that it's automatic that when a new book is published there's a built in cost for it to be provided as a hard-copy and e-book copy once it's released. I think libraries are often the soul of a town or city and they do so much good for the community. Why people are doing their level best to curtail reading will continue to baffle and aggravate me.

Task 3: Make a little straw (or wood / cloth / wool / fabric) effigy of the book character you like least.

Task 4:

How do you order the books on your shelves?

My books are not ordered like this:

Image result for books ordered in color

Instead they are ordered by author. And nope, I don't order them alphabetically. I do try to keep same genres together though. So Stephen King, Dean Koontz, and a few other horror authors are all together. I did throw Neil Gaiman in with them though cause it just fits there.

Pictures of my shelves:

Book: Read a book set in the UK, a political thriller, a book involving any monarchy or revolution, a book about arson or related to fires and burning, a book whose plot involves costumes / fancy dress, or that has masks on the cover, or that is self-published.

Read Chesapeake Blue by Nora Roberts on 11/12/19. There is a huge arson in this book that led to a business being burned. Honestly this book is terrible, just skip it.

Completed tasks: 4